Traveling with John and Margaret

Well John and I are officially “homeless”.  It’s not that we are really homeless since we have our beautiful truck and fifth-wheel trailer but it’s not the same thing.  Kristin calls us Nomads.  I guess we are.  It sure is nice to consider ourselves carefree and mobile. 
It’s been difficult and emotional for both John and I to go through our stuff and decide what to keep, what to throw away or give away, what to store and what to take with us.  We need to be prepared for all types of weather and of course, I never ‘under pack’.  I didn’t realize it would be so heart wrenching to leave the kids and grandkids. 

I will keep you posted of where we go and what we see through this site.  Look for the pictures.

July 1, 2012

We unplugged the power cord, hooked up the trailer, lifted the stabilizers and we are off!  (sounds like we are in a space ship !)

We stopped at Derrick’s to drop off a few of the totes we won’t need for this first short trip to Island Park, ID, with Derrick, Bekka and the kids.  The storage area of the trailer, which John calls the “basement”, is full of totes that have things we feel we will need for the next 7-8 months.  We picked up Alyssa, DJ and Nicole to spend the afternoon and night with us at Lava Hot Springs.  The water park was okay, but the kids were more impressed with the hot spring pools.  I didn’t remember them being so hot!      

We had a little trouble getting into our spot at the RV park in Lava.  We were watching the sides of the unit while the girl from the front office was showing us where to go.  Next thing we knew the top of the trailer was scrapping along the branch of a tree.  It flattened the round edge for about 8 feet and tore the vinyl cover in a few spots. 

July 2, 2012

We arrived at Mack’s Inn in Island Park, MT around 3:00 p.m.  We had trouble getting into our spot – again.   John clipped another tree branch and flattened the top and broke an outside light on the other side.  Needless to say, we are now checking out our spots – beforehand – for tree branches.

Nicole was stepping outside the trailer and came back in saying “a horse just ran through our camp”.   It turned out to be a moose.  It ended up behind our trailer about 50 feet away and started munching on the bushes.

It was DJ’s birthday.  We had his birthday party with the family before we left town.  However we did sing to him several times during the day.

July 3, 2012

Derrick and Bekka got here around 11 and went for a hike with her family.  We were invited on this trip to Island Park to join Bekka and her family.  Her sister Pauline and family are from Phoenix and rented a cabin.  Her sister Tammy and family are from Texas and had their motorhome.  Her parents are from St. George and stayed with Derrick, Bekka and their kids in a cabin.  There are 27 people in this group  (including John and I).  We visited with them for a while.  They went into West Yellowstone to go through the shops and we stayed in camp. 

John worked on the satellite dish for most of the day.  He didn’t find the satellite — no TV.  The kids and I played cards.

July 4, 2013

Derrick and Bekka went with her family on a four-mile water raft ride.   Most of the family got sunburned, but DJ’s was the worst…it blistered.  John, Alyssa and I drove into West Yellowstone so John could get some trailer stuff and vinyl repair tape so he could temporarily fix the roof.

We ate dinner with Derrick, Bekka, all the kids and her parents.  We finally ate the birthday cake I had made for DJ.  Afterwards the whole group of families drove into West Yellowstone to wander through the shops and watch the fireworks.  We parked in a parking lot about 500 feet away from where they were lit.  They were awesome and loud.  

July 5, 2013

It was cloudy and rained off and on all day.  Late in the afternoon, we all met at Pauline’s cabin, ate hamburgers and hot dogs then played cards.

July 6, 2012

We all piled into our vehicles and went to the lower loop of Yellowstone.    Our first stop was Gibbon Falls.  We ate lunch in a grove between Norris Junction and Canyon Village.  We drove on to see Yellowstone Grand Canyon and the Lower Falls.  We stopped at Mud Volcano, Fishing Bridge and ended up at Old Faithful.  We drove along the shore of Yellowstone Lake.  It is huge and beautiful.  I read that the surface temperature is 60 degrees and bottom temperature never raises above 40 degrees.  No wonder no one swims in that lake!  Hyperthermia sets in within minutes.

We stopped at Old Faithful Inn and watched Old Faithful go off.  I’m amazed at how closely they predict when it will go off.  It was right on.

On our way back to camp we stopped at Biscuit Basin.  The kids played in the river at a point where the hot springs ran into it and warmed up the water.  Alyssa was bitten by mosquitoes which swelled up and itched most of the night.   Poor Nicole got one on her cheek right under her left eye.  Our last stop before heading to camp was Midway Geyser Basin.

July 7, 2012

So now I’m caught up on my writing…..

Today we cleaned up our camp and checked out at 11.  We said our good-byes to the family and drove up to West Yellowstone.  We saw a new, really clean RV park that we decided to stay at for a couple days. We checked in and pulled into our spot — no trees in the way!  I got into the laundry area and commandeered five washers.  It took me four hours to do the wash.  Cleaned up the trailer and wiped away all the dust from the Mack’s Inn campsite.  While we were eating dinner it rained with thunder and lightning.  John figured out the satellite and we watched NASCAR.  Pretty low-key evening.

One thought on “Traveling with John and Margaret

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s